Saturday, February 6, 2010

Jayaram's house, office attacked

February 5, 2010
Popular Malayalam-Tamil actor Jayaram's house and office in Valasaravakkam, Chennai, were attacked on Friday by a group of 25 activists of Naam Thamizhar Movement as a stiff reaction against the actor's comment against Tamil women during a talk show called "Ivide Husbands Happiyaanu" in a Malayalam TV channel. The talk show was aired as a promo to his new Malayalam film Happy Husbands.

According to sources, no one was injured in the attack as Jayaram and his family members were out of town. The activists damaged his car and windows in the house. Meanwhile, the police have arrested eight Naam Thamizhar activists associated with the attack.

The whole episode began when the TV anchor asked a funny question: "In most Jayaram movies, we can see only dusky-coloured housemaids appointed by his spouse(s), maybe because she is very cautious about her husband. Does it happen in real life as well?" The question was contextual as Jayaram plays a husband in the film who gets attracted to a bar dancer.

Jayaram's reply was also quick enough to hold up the good spirit of the show. "I have a buffalo like Tamil lady in my house working as a housemaid. The real intention my wife selected her is to avoid my peeping in the kitchen area. It is a trick by all wives."

According to latest reports, Jayaram apologized for having to make this comment, describing his domestic help as a buffalo-like Tamil woman. He said in a statement: "It was a joke and not aimed at hurting the sentiments of anyone. I myself am a Tamil and how could I hurt the sentiments of Tamil people? I have been in the Tamil film industry for 23 years and never have I hurt the feelings of Tamils. If any of my comments hurt women in particular, my profuse apologies."

No comments:

Post a Comment