Sunday, January 17, 2010

Mamata seeks three-day state mourning

Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee Sunday described Marxist icon Jyoti Basu as a 'great political figure' and called for a 72-hour state mourning.
'I think we all should observe a three-day state mourning across the country to pay homage to such a great political figure of Indian politics,' the Trinamool Congress leader told reporters here.

'He was the first and lastchapter of the Communist movement in India,' she said after emerging out of the AMRI hospital here. 'He (Basu) will be remembered for his political achievements because of his pioneering role in the country's Left movement.

'I had very good relations with him, especially in last few years of his life. He discussed many political issues with me and I always tried to attend all the meetings whenever he called me,' said Banerjee.

No comments:

Post a Comment