Sunday, January 25, 2009

`I am a God fearing communist': Abdullakutty MP

AP Abdullakkutty, the youngest MP from the state, has openly questioned the party and asked it to make its stand clear on religion and faith. Being a Communist does not mean that I should not believe in God. Nowhere is it said or written -- be it Marxist-Leninist doctrines or party manifestoes -- that a Communist should be an atheist. Most party cadres are believers, Abdullakutty quoted as saying in exclusive interview given to online portal Rediff.com

Religion plays a key role in understanding the social paradigm.I am an ordinary human being, a God-believing Muslim. That is why I went and performed the Umra. That only enhanced my respect for other religions. In a country like India, where religion has deep roots, it is important for the party to make the stand clear on religion. It is not a question you can shy away from. The party should be open for a debateand then publicly announcea renewed stand.I am proud to say that I am a Communist who believes in God,.

By saying openly on such issue MP doesn't believe that this will affect his political career`` I have just expressed what most cadres think and believe.'', he said. . If the party wants me as an MLA or MP, I will be happy to carry out my duty. But tomorrow, if it decides against my candidacy, I will accept it and work as an ordinary party worker. A real Communist is never after any ceremonial posts. The party is supreme, he said.

The article written by MP in `the MathrubhumiI `Yatra' magazine kicked up the first row in which he met a Nadi astrologer.
But MP said ``I have said why I went. Thanjavur always attracts two kinds of people -- one to know the future, the other tourists. India's culture is different. So is our ethos. There is myth, fact and fiction. I can't run away from the age-old customs and beliefs. There is no harm in visiting such places. But I repeat -- it was pure curiosity that took me there.''

He went and performed the Umra, ruffling many feathers which made the matter s worse and through many publications he made many statements which all disturbed the party and made a point for discussion in party meetings. As MP is again and against making his stand clear there is no doubt that the matter will become a piece for discussion in national level too.

No comments:

Post a Comment